Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Books Everyone Should read

Resentlly I have been thinking about books that I think every one should read and I would be interested in hearing what the family has to say. I am especially interests in books that are from your area of expertise for example Dad might suggest a business book or Daniel and philosophy book, Ashley a history book and Ryan a economics book. But I do have conditions these are books for the average lay person not someone with a background in your subject or expertise. I would also like any recommendations that are biographies or novels.
Thanks for you help. Here is my list.

Biographies:
Queen Noor by Peggy Noonan

Novels:
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
All Creatures Great and Small by James Harriot

Classics:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

My Expertise:
Parenting
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau

Family Finance
The Wealthy Barber, Updated 3rd Edition: Everyone's Commonsense Guide to Becoming Financially Independent by David Chilton

3 comments:

Unknown said...

From my area of expertise, I think everyone should read Strunk and White at least once.

Ryan said...

Alright, I'll take the bait:

From my area of expertise:

1. Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom.
2. Bryan Caplan, The Myth of the Rational Voter.
3. Alpha C. Chiang, Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics. (you can skip this one if you aren't going to grad school in economics. Otherwise, it is literally a "must read".)

Personal opinion:

1. Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice. (You should actually read this once every couple of years.)

2. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. (This book is such a fantastic story it is easy to miss the deeper messages about economics, freedom, society, marriage, civic duty, etc... You computer geeks will love this book--and appreciate his vision of the internet--in 1966!)

3. Adams, Watership Down. (You may have read this when you were younger and be under the impression that it is a silly adventure story about rabbits. It is not. It is an adventure story, to be sure, but it is also a deeply symbolic political book with valuable things to say about tyranny, oppression, the evil effects of idleness, the nature of happiness, and the value of wise leadership.)

Maybe I'll add to the list later--that's enough for now.

Unknown said...

Well, I just saw this so I'm going to have to think about this a bit. But for Philosophy/Economics/What was it daniel majored in there are two books that come to the top of my mind.
1. Starship Troopers by Heinlein, while this is a war-like book i think this is one of most interesting arguement against the "great-victim society" we seem to be developing.
2. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Ryn?, This book sposes a lot of "don't care about the consequences of your actions" crap, I think it is one of the most interesting exmaination of what happens if people stop trying to do things on their own and rely on government.