Monday, March 10, 2008

Jello for easter



The quest for healthy recipes continues. For easter I am going to make some of the teats for my kids using healthier recipes (face it, it is not hard to get healthier then jelly beans) I made this recipe at Christmas and it was great so I am going to make it again at easter using these molds. You can get them from the jell-o website. And the website has free shipping. What could be better.
http://jellostore.archway.com/KraftCornerEStore/product_bean_mold.seam?cid=216&clr=true

Yes I do know that this is the second jell-o recipe I have posted, so I guess that makes me officially a jell-o making Mormon from Utah but if you try it you will like it.

Homemade Gumdrops
2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 1/3 cups applesauce
2 packages (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 tsp lemon juice

In a large sauce pan, combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, red or green gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Immediately pour into a cold 11 x 7 x 2 inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.

With a spatula, loosen gelatin from sides of pan. To remove, invert onto waxed paper. Using kitchen scissors or small sharp cookie cutters dipped in hot water, cut into 1 inch squares or shapes. Place on waxed paper. Dry at room temperature for about 8 hours or until slightly sticky. Roll in remaining sugar. Store in a airtight container. Yield: about 1 3/4 pounds.

No comments: